Wednesday, November 13, 2013

"OBX" Outer Banks (Marathon)

This was my first ever 26.2. I’m not sure I’ve ever been so mentally (and probably physically) prepared for a race. I have been diligently following my training plan since July; I meticulously planned my nutrition and wardrobe; and, despite an ill-timed bout of the sniffles, I made sure to get good nights’ sleep in the week leading up to the event. I even slept pretty well the night before (but wow, those marathon anxiety dreams are crazy!). It was also a gorgeous day at the Outer Banks: full sun by the 7:20am race start, temps in the mid-50s.

I arrived at the race start about 40 minutes early to get settled and find my spot in corral A. I was feeling a little awesome about being placed in corral A until I learned that there were only 2 corrals. Still, it was corral A!

During the race, from start to mile 19.5-ish, I felt like a rock star. I was keeping my pace on the fast side of my best estimates, even through the 3-ish miles of unpaved trails. My half-marathon split was way better than I expected and actually not even that far off (5 minutes) from my half marathon PR. There were great spectators along the way too, and I was especially energized to see Doug and Colin at mile 17.

At mile 19.5, though, two new and significant things started to happen: first, my left calf (and ankle too at first, but that was short-lived) started doing something strange. It was sort of like a cramp, but more of just a general rebellion; second (and more significantly), the wind got wicked; I think because we were going over more bridges. I expected to have some sunburn, but instead, I actually have windburn on my face.

I was able to keep the calf rebellion in check with some light stretching at the water stations, but I really slowed down, adding about :45 second/mile to my average pace over the last 6+ miles. At first I was kicking myself for keeping the faster pace at the beginning, but I really don’t think that starting slower would have saved me. I was just tired, and it was just windy. In fact, I think this pace saved me because, quite simply, I was able to get the whole think over with sooner (the faster you run, the faster you’re done, right?)

I also don’t think that the problem was nutrition. I drank Gatorade whenever it was offered (even though I got to the point that the Gatorade tasted so bad that I had to rinse my mouth out with water after I drank it), and I drank water (conservatively) at most of the stations that didn’t have Gatorade. I also ate 5 Honey Stingers (or as Karen M. and I call them, “stingahs”) gummies every 6 miles, just like I did with great success on every long training run. So, again, I think I was just tired of running. My super-awesome massage therapist Suzie calls miles 19-23 the “Pain Tunnel,” so I am guessing I’m not the only person who has had this kind of experience.

In the end, I hit right between my dream goal and my realistic-best-case scenario goal. I am a firm believer in the “you run the race you trained for” adage, though. And honestly, I didn’t train for anything better than what I got.

Takeaways: Most of the veteran marathoners I know said that the goal of the first marathon is to finish, and now I get what they meant. This race was an unparalleled experience, and it was seriously one of the hardest things I’ve ever done (and I’ve had thoracic surgery and given birth). Logistically, for the next 26.2, I think that I will try to do more runs on tired legs. Not that anything can prepare you for that Pain-Tunnel feeling, but I’m sure at least some simulation will help.

Gratitude: Not only am I lucky enough to have a husband and son who never complain about the time I put into the exercises, but I also have the best friends/support group in the universe. Some of them have been my ever-reliable running (and life) companions for years now, some got up at the “tramp stamp” of dawn with me (and protected me from small bears), some kept me up to speed on the latest Oiselle fashions, some made me speedy spider posters, and some kept me company on nearly every long run (always reminding me that there was Bean Traders waiting at the finish). I seriously love you all more than I can say. Without you=no marathon.

2 comments:

  1. Great race! Your first marathon experience is eerily familiar! I remember most of those things going through my head when I did my first one. I'm glad to hear you're already thinking about number 2, though. It gets (a little) better. Again, congratulations... you did amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Dave! I didn't think I'd want to do another one, but even during the race, I kept thinking, "next time I'll do [this or that]," so I guess I should do another one. And I'm glad to hear that my experience even slightly parallels that of a super-speed pro like you. Gives me hope!

    ReplyDelete